Road Trip


This holiday weekend found us with a free morning, so a very short road trip was in order.  At the last minute, we ended up at Federal Hill, also known as My Old Kentucky Home.  In 1795 John Rowan, a US Senator, owned the farm and the rear portion of this house was built, with the rest coming soon after.  


Built in the Federal style, the house does not disappoint and has been kept in fine fashion through the years.  


The home was once a center of social and political activity, during its heyday.  Photography was not allowed inside, which was a pity.  Incredible examples of Kentucky cherry furniture were on display and original to the family.  The last restoration was completed in 2006 and paid for by an anonymous donor.  All wallpaper and carpeting are in keeping with the original time period.  




It is thought Stephen Foster wrote the ballad, My Old Kentucky Home, with this house as his inspiration.  Mr. Foster was a cousin to the Rowan family and spent much time at this farm.  



While I found the home to be nothing short of, "old house perfection", I have to admit that this spring house in more in keeping with my budget.  


"Houses are like people - some you like and some you don't like - and once in a while there is one you love."  

L.M. Montgomery 






Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I did! The inside was full of such detail and history!

      Delete
  2. a great road trip and thank you for sharing it with us.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful place I would love visiting! I had no the house which may have inspired My Old Kentucky Home would still be standing--how neat! That is a real pity they wouldn't allow photography inside. I hate it when there are similar rules at places I go. My family and I just went on a tour of the John Deere Engine Works factory in Waterloo, and they don't allow photography either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fine looking house! I'm sure some folks said it was a mansion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special place.. thanks for sharing it with us. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I love road trips. Pretty house and photos. Love the quote too. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought I would like that style of architecture, but I do like it. Did you go inside? The quote was me; I loved the city house the moment I walked in and I would never have thought I would have liked it either. Tastes change. Now, I love the modern houses with stucco and glass. Just can't afford one as the prices seem to start around 850K. Maybe in another life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I did go inside. The furniture is beautiful. Classic cherry furniture from Kentucky and all family pieces.

      Delete
  8. beautiful!!! i like mini, spontaneous road trips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A special place I shall google for images of the interior. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful house and outing you went on!!!!
    It seems that we have the same budget!!! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful and really interesting history. I like that spring house too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pity we couldn't see inside, now that would be something.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your beautiful photos. Pondering about the architecture. What is "Federal style"? How great the wallpaper and carpeting was original! I think it was beautiful to see?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks beautiful. Kentucky has come up in my reading a lot--it is now on my travel list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Federation architecture is one of my favorites Michelle, this is a fine example. Such a shame no photos allowed inside, I don't understand why that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Charming spring house is like I said . . . charming!
    Sounds like a great visit . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a treat! So pretty and full of stories!

    ReplyDelete
  18. An Impressive house, I like especially the high Windows and the entrance ~ would love to peek inside 😊

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful quote and home. I love the history there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts