Spring Time in Winter


I have posted about our natural springs before, but after receiving several questions about them, I decided to pay them another visit today.  

Walking about thirty seconds from my front porch leaves you standing on this small ridge with this gorgeous view.  Our natural spring flows directly underneath this hillside ridge, out into waterfalls and a meandering creek.  




Walking halfway down the sloping hill you run into the remnants of an old well house.  I can't imagine walking from my old farmhouse to this well to retrieve water.  Running water is such a convenience that I think we take for granted.  


Water flows from various spots on this hillside.  This one has a cave entrance and although I would like to see what is inside, I have only peeked in from the outside.  



Hiking down to the spring today was a cold endeavor.  Usually I take the dogs with me, but I can't have them swimming around at this time of year.  



Right down the hill from the well, is the remnants of an old spring house.  When my kids were younger, we would spend many hours here collecting pieces of pottery, dishes, and old types of bottles.    


Someone was very motivated to keep this tree growing along the creek bed.  The old limestone blocks are the only things keeping it in place.  




Here we are at the end of the show.  
The first picture was taken on the top of the ridge, that you see in this photo.  



I will be linking this post up with Tom's Tuesday's Treasures.  
This place is a true treasure on our farm.  




Comments

  1. Lucky you, what a beautiful piece of property!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an old spring house that is still used to collect the water where it comes out of the ground and piped to cisterns and then pumped to the house. The old troughs are covered over now but they once kept food cold along with milk products. I dig up lots of pieces of broken crocks and plates when I do any work around there. I also find stone spear points from thousands of years ago where natives camped near the spring. I suspect you may find some near your spring as even then a spring seems to have been favored over a creek for good "sweet" water as they used to say. Getting some snow flurries here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A true treasure indeed. You are truly lucky. Excellent pictures and info.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natural springs are such magic to me. We have one just outside town which a lot of local collect drinking water from. It's been maintained and tapped to make collection easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always get excited and curious when I come across old structure like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, you do have a beautiful property. LOL, indoor plumping and running water is a must. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A true treasure for sure. This reminds me of a small spring and creek we had on the back of our property when we lived in Pennsylvania. It was a favorite spot for the kids to play!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh how lucky you are to live in such pretty surroundings Michelle.. I know what you mean about taking things for granted, when the power pole was knocked down outside my house last week, we were lost without power, candles, although romantic, don't quite cut it 😀

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely series, I would like to look into the cave more. It could be huge, the limestone dissolves sometimes. One I explore one had to crawl under a 3 ft. shelf underwater in a cold water stream, but it was into a large room 30 ft. on diameter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that area is a true treasure!! I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely gift to have on your property. In addition to the water, I love the moss. Something we don't see much here in the dry land of California.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great tour - and thank goodness for indoor plumbing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, having running water is something I think we all take for granted.
    How nice that you have that lovely creek on your land.
    Makes for beautiful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. makes me wanna go hiking ... it is so cold here today, not much hiking going on, i went to the mailbox and about died, i know to some folks who have even cooler temps they would i am just plan silly ... but the constant change of weather keeps ya on your toes and you never know what you should wear each day. kind of entertaining. love the mossy shots. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love historical remnants and such a beautiful natural area too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thoroughly enjoyed this post...it made me think of home so, so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh how i love this! what a treasure indeed...have you done anything with the pieces of pottery you have found?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting post! We have springs around here too, but most have been "civilized" with pipes added. People bring water jugs to fill.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent! I loved tagging along on the adventure....just a few feet from your porch. It felt to me as if I were in Old England back in the 16th century. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just the kind of place I love to explore! The moss covered stones are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a lovely spot. Reminds me of the woods we left behind when we sold our home in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Michelle, water is a treasure that we often take for granted. I'd love to see all of this as spring begins to break. Thanks for sharing and I hope that you will return again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely treat! I'd be back there all the time :-).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such dense woods around this spring! Something we don't see here although we have many springs due to snow melt. Did you ever find any Native American artifacts when poking around the soft ground? I dream of finding a treasure like that one day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts