Lincoln's Birthplace


In honor of President's Day I decided to pay a visit to a local landmark.  Lincoln's Birthplace is a National Park that is not too far from the farmette.  Though it seems like a sleepy locale, it gets an estimated 200,000 visitors per year.  A replica of Lincoln's boyhood cabin resides in this building.  





At the top of the steps you get a proper view of the farm.  Boardwalk trails and forest trails wind through the acreage of the farm.  




A replica of Lincoln's birth cabin is a glimpse into a hard life, or I think so.  



It is hard for me to imagine living in such a tiny structure with two children and meals to prepare.  



The spring which originally supplied water to the Lincoln family is still flowing right next to the memorial building.  Typical of Kentucky's landscape, the spring flows from a cave system.  As a child, I tossed pennies into this spring, but not anymore.  There is a much better awareness of the environmental impact of coins in the spring.  


When I was a child, this store was my favorite part of the visit.  The Nancy Lincoln Inn sells all things Lincoln, including ice cream.  


It contains many cedar boxes and small cabins for sale, as well as civil war items.  I still have the cedar boxes that I bought there, years ago.  Sadly, it was closed when I was there.  


"I do the very best I know how....the very best I can, and I mean to continue doing so, until the end."  

Abraham Lincoln 







Comments

  1. Perfect Presidents Day Visit and Post . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, I cannot imagine living in that cabin! I love this for President's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first President's Day that I can't enjoy. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting . . . and I love his quotation . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great post for the special holiday weekend. i didn't even mention it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We visited here about 15 years ago and really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post....so interesting !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect for our Presidents day, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat sinkhole! that seems like a fun place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. would love to visit there, looks like the Rocky stairs ... so neat!! happy week for you!! take care. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of it Michelle. I bet it's a fun place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a cedar treasure chest I got when I was 9.I had some miniature tools I kept in it and a few other treasures

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great place to visit! He was a good man -

    ReplyDelete
  14. A good post for your Presidents day, Michelle.
    I guess it was easier to keep those small houses warm in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. New salem Illinois is a great area to visit [Lincoln historical park]...I really enjoyed this very much. Interesting & great photos Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post. Yes, it must have been so hard raising a family in that little place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That log cabin is the size of my back yard shed.... isn't that something! I never knew that his cabin was so tiny! I would love to see how far back those coins in that watery cave dated back to!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can understand why there are so many visitors Michelle. Gosh I sometimes romanticize about living back then but it really must have been tough, I guess they didn't know any different. We really are quite spoilt these days, and quite often take things for granted. I wonder what Mr. Lincoln would think of the present situation in your country.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing. What a neat place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't that interesting. I didn't expect to see the grand building on a hill, and even more didn't expect to see the little replica cabin inside. Thanks for the tour.

    I haven't been visiting much lately. Cataract surgery. Will probably end up without glasses, but the healing continues and the near vision needs a bit more clarity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts