El Santuario de Chimayo

We had our trip planned out, mostly.  We had room for detours and all those things along the way that might capture our attention.  Early one morning, during a rock climbing expedition, I was chatting with another family and they mentioned that we should visit El Santuario de Chimayo.  I wasn't familiar, but after their description I knew I had to pay it a visit.  

After I finished watching my children dangle from precariously high positions, (don't all parents like to see that?), I found our afternoon's destination and I wasn't disappointed.  


What began as a small chapel in 1810 is now a church that is visited annually by an estimated 30,000 visitors from all over the world, most of them coming during Holy Week.  Pilgrims come in fulfillment of a vow, some seek blessings, and the church is also known as a place of healing and miracles.  


Though the Catholic Church takes no stance on whether miracles have happened here, it was clear that this is a sacred place.  


I encountered many visitors in prayer and my trip inside the church was especially moving.  People were praying at the altar and in the pews.  Many people were very emotional and took the time to gather some, "holy dirt", from the well inside the church.  This dirt is said to have healing powers and crutches, canes, walkers, notes of thanks, and many other articles, were left inside the prayer room.  Written testimonials were also left in the prayer room.  


Prayers requests are left in the Priest's office and there are many places throughout the church grounds where prayers requests have been left.  


The grounds are very beautiful with views of the mountains.  


Photography was not permitted inside the church, but you can see official photos here, as well as ready more about the church's history.  




"As my mind can conceive of more good, the barriers and blocks dissolve.  My life becomes full of little miracles popping up out of the blue."  

Louise L. Hay  



Comments

  1. What a transformation from 1810
    Like the open space all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing find, I went back through again to see anything I might have missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! I especially like 1 and 4. I can imagine it must be a special experience seeing the preservation of that type of history and what it must have meant to so many over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a beautiful church and grounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for enlightening my day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty and I am sure it was a memorable time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing place! I love all the artistry and creativity of the place. I bet the feeling there was special. Thanks for sharing it with us. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent shots and place to visit. Are all those rosaries prayer requests in the fourth photo? I like the frame you used as well, really highlights the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanna, Those are prayers requests with the rosaries. The photos are also prayer requests.

      Delete
  9. so cool. i enjoy all the colors. i love the unique style. thank you for sharing. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a beautiful place, your pictures are lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful place to see and visit. It gives hope to thousands of people. Very nice post, Michelle and have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to see you enjoying an adventure this summer! What a special place you visited. I bet you could feel the faith all around you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, what a lovely place. I like how all the rosaries were hanging. Beautiful church! Wonderful series of photos. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Michelle, for sharing this lovely church in photos and text. It is certainly a very special place for so many.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You definitely made the right choice to visit here Michelle, it really is special! There was only one picture of the inside on the link but it was enough to see that it's just as incredible on the inside as it is on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a unique and beautiful church! Definitely a tourist "must." Good thing you have flexibility in your vacation schedule for unexpected treasures like that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love visiting places like this....they are so inspiring, I usually get goose flesh all over.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do believe in Miracles, Michelle. This looked like a very spiritual place to visit! Toas is on my list of places I'd like to see and I'll add this site

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Michelle, what special place this is. I would love to visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This church looked like a special place! I love these places where miracles do take place.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happening upon this sacred space would pique my interest.
    The colors, the adobe style, grotto like atmosphere . . .
    Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts