Nature

Nature is in full swing around here.  With the hot temperatures, everything is growing.  This would include weeds, insects, and kids.  I thought at this age the kids might stop, but I don't think so.  

While picking cherry tomatoes I came across this hornworm.  It is full of braconid wasp cocoons.  The cocoons will destroy the hornworm, so I just let nature take its course here.  



The hummingbirds are finally back after what I though might be a permanent hiatus.  This Lofos Compact Rose houses two small feeders that have become quite popular.  I also have regular sized feeders with a lot of competition between the hummingbirds.  


Last, but not least, is this frog hanging out in one of the fountains.  There is a bounty of frogs here and you can listen to them at night.  Some varieties are even on our windows.  



I have an old claw-foot tub that has been turned into a fountain.  Well, it is now full of tadpoles.  This is where my love of all types of animals has gone awry.  I have turned off the pump, but they need to hurry up, grow, and hop out of there.

What have I done?


"If it's your job to eat a frog, it's best to do it first thing in the morning.  And if it's your job to eat two frogs, it's best to eat the biggest one first."  

Mark Twain







Comments

  1. How wonderful is the beauty of God's creation!!!

    We have lots of Hummingbirds, I've noticed, around our home this summer! I saw a cluster of 4 or 5 around our honeysuckle just as the sun was setting one evening! They are so quick and busy - I'm so glad you were able to catch this lovely picture!

    Blessings to you, Net
    https://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer is a wonderful time to watch Mother Nature. Hornworms-yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, nature is grand. Love the frog and hummer. The hornworm is strange. The quote is funny, you would not catch me eating frogs. Leave them to the critters to eat. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not gonna eat a frog - even if it tastes like chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Small town girl...as always, your photos are wonderful...
    every now and then, we see a tiny frog enjoying a swim in the pool and the dogs run from one side of the pool to the other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...I hope that you aren't also breeding skeeters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those wasps but haven't seen any this year, I saw where a horn worm had eaten some of a tomato vine but was nowhere to be found so I think something spotted it and ate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute toad/frog ... love finding them in the wild. have a great week. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bathtub science experiment reminds me of our DILs pool.. which became a massive frog colony. She finally took the pool down and put a trampoline in the level spot we'd made for the pool. Enjoy your summer.. it's 2/3s over! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hummingbirds have been out and about here too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Mark Twains wry humor!
    And yes, my kids insist on growing all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We see hummingbirds too, I love watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hornworms still eat a lot.Always fun to find treasures, but with 80 tomatoes we smash those little babies or take them fishing.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. my hummingbirds just recently came back, i am seeing more than usual. i have always wanted a claw footed tub in my home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have done exactly as I would have done! When the girls were young...6-12 maybe even older, we always got one of the plastic wading pools, and put water in it, along with Pumpkinseed bluegill, crawdads, waterboatmen, tadpoles....anything and everything. the kids got to see a lot...until I think the last year they did it a raccoon found and got it all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you have created quite a lovely critter haven. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our hummers are back too...finally! They are fighting each other like crazy at the feeders. I have seen those horn worms before but never one with the wasp larvae ...gross and fascinating all at the same time! Have fun watching those tadpoles. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those horn worms are creepy looking!
    Like the picture of the frog hiding in there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The hummingbirds are beautiful to watch, and snap if you're lucky. Looks like all is well in your summer world Michelle and I'm very pleased to hear it ☺ That Mark Twain, frogs in the morning indeed 😀

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aren't critters grand! I am even protecting grass snakes now...don't tell my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My hummingbirds have just now started coming around....Love seeing them. You captured some awesome nature pics...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I've never seen those on a hornworm or even heard of them. That's wild! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love that Mark Twain quote! I admit I ate frog legs once--it won't be a repeat experience--lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts