Spider Folklore



She is a busy woman.  For reference, she is about the size of a quarter.  She has taken up residence on our front porch and this semi-reasonable photograph is the result of me being afraid to get any closer than I was.  

I need to quit being such a wimp.  

I find her very interesting and her industrious behavior quite inspiring.  Her web is nothing short of a work of art.  Maybe I will get a close up....in a day or two.  


And, in case you didn't know....

If you wish to thrive, leave spiders alive. 

Seeing a white spider is especially lucky. 

Spider webs will stop the bleeding, when applied to a wound.  

In ancient Rome, it was thought that spiders could bring money into your life.  

If you must kill a spider, apologize to it first.  

Dreaming of a spider is thought to be a good omen.  


"The difference between utility and utility plus beauty is the difference between telephone wires and a spider's web."  

Edwin Way Teale  





Comments

  1. Hello, awesome shot of the spider and it's web. I enjoyed the folklore. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....interesting! I never could understand folks dislike of spiders, now snakes, that's a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to worry unless you have an old beehive hairdo and get a nest of spiders living in it. Of course that isn't all bad as they do catch all kind of bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take a deep breath. Take a close up.
    She's a beauty. And yes, it's absolute artwork.
    ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only kill them if they come inside Michelle and I always apologize first 😀 I wouldn't get any closer to your spider, but then I'm a scaredy pants 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an old German proverb that my mother always quoted. Translated it says, A spider in the house is good luck.

      Delete
  6. Believe it or not, I love those kind of spiders and the jumpy little black velvet ones too. And the gorgeous garden spider, but don't like big ones or those that come in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think of Charlotte and then you won't be so afraid. They do a good job keeping other insects under control!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think she'll hurt you unless you stick your nose where it doesn't belong, like the middle of her web! Interesting photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmmm I'm not fond of spiders either and I don't think I will apologize to one if I have to kill it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmm . . .
    Amazing to see their web . . .
    Enjoyed the folklore . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not super fond of spiders but I also do not blow a gasket if one gets near me like some people. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stumbled across your blog, thanks to google and my need to understand the meaning of “fast time.” It dawned on me seconds after beginning to read your post, that you’re also somewhere in KY. I’m a city girl transplanted in podunk KY too. So excited to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. spider webs are so impressive aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Their webs are amazing. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes, they are wonderful artists with those intricate webs, but I keep my distance for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spiders are creative artists with their webs. I don't mind spiders in general but a big one gets my attention and it has to be removed. Great shot of your porch guest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I leave spiders alone as long as they don't come in the house!
    Their webs are fascinating works of art

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts