Warmth and Comfort


Saturday I was in search of comfort.  


The weather had turned cold and the house was empty.  


The men of the house were on a deer hunt, the girl was busy with friends, and my dad, who had been with us all week for the passing of his mother, had left for his own home.  


Soup was in order.  


Not an ordinary vegetable soup, but one full of flavor and originality. 


Southwestern Vegetable Soup


6 cups chicken broth
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup water
1 cup canned dark red kidney beans, with liquid
1 cup frozen yellow cut corn
1 cup frozen cut green beans
1 4 ounce can diced green chilies
1/2 cup diced Spanish onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
6 corn tortillas, minced
 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder 
dash garlic powder 

 Garnish:  1 cup grated cheddar or jack cheese blend
1 cup crumbled corn tortilla chips 

Combine all soup ingredients in a large saucepan or soup pot over high heat.  Mince the corn tortillas into small pieces with a sharp knife before adding them to the soup.  

Bring soup to a boil, then reduce and simmer for about 45 minutes.  

To serve, ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle with cheese and tortilla chips.  

Makes 6 servings.  





Comments

  1. ...we all need to be comforted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup sounds good, this is a good one for something different. I saw a hominy soup with that SW flair this last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't tell us when dinner was being served! :) Looks delicious, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I don't enjoy cooking in general, I'm fairly decent at it and I do well with soups. I will have to try this one---looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love hot soup. nothing is better, with some grilled cheese sandwiches. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love good soup! Thanks for sharing the recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really feels like soup weather the last week or so and I have already
    made 3 different ones along with some chili.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I love soup. It is comfort food on a cold day. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Enjoy your day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A perfect example of why I love Fall. I’ve never cooked tortillas in my soup before - I definitely need to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love soup and this sounds like a good one. A good comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sure sounds good. I can imagine the aroma going through your house when you cooked it. Tis the season for soup! We just had some fish chowder last night and that was great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you take a photo of the finished soup? Sounds divine! I bet you enjoyed your solitude. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds so good! I think I'll try making some next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This made me so hungry for a good soup that I copied it and will make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tis the soup season and there's nothing better for warmth and comfort as so many agree. Today, I made a pot of chicken soup and homemade artisan bread and you are welcome to join us anytime, Michelle, as more soup will be made this season.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This recipe sounds good! There is nothing better than a bowl of yummy soup on a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A hearty soup does help Michelle, as do many virtual hugs from around the world ✨

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is soup season to keep warm with.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Soup sounds good. The weather has definitely turned cooler here in Kentucky. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah! Delicious comfort food! This definitely warms the heart and soul. xx K

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts